Saturday, October 13, 2007

2 Days in Tokyo

Quick trip to Tokyo for a new project. Am staying at the Peninsula this time and took some pictures. Fabulous hotel in a good location. The Ritz and this is my current favourite in Tokyo right now. Kind of a toss up between the two but for some reason, I have not slept well in my past two trips at the Pen. Maybe retry the Ritz next time.

Lo por is a sushi fan and I have been looking all over for the best sushi in Tokyo for her. Since I am here, am continuing that quest. So far, have tried Jiro in Roppongi Hills, Kyubei in Okura, Harumi in Shinbashi and Sushi Dai in Tsukiji. Got a recommendation for Uogashi Senryou in Tsukiji and have decided to head out for a quick lunch. Senryou is located right outside the Tsukiji market and right next to, or in the middle of, a dry goods store. When I first saw it, I have to recheck the address to make sure that this is the restaurant I am looking for. Definitely not what I expected but this has "local" spelt all over it. I think just the set up is worth seeing. As for the food, I ordered the 3,900 nigiri set. Disappointingly, it was not served one piece at a time even though I was the only customer in the restaurant and seated at the sushi bar table. Included in the set are beef, otoro, otoro aburi, aji, anago, ikura, uni and a tuna maki. All the pieces are quite small though a good size for eating. The uni was heavenly, both creamy and a slightly salty taste. The other pieces are OK though nothing special. Since the pieces are quite small, I also tried the nama saba, chu toro and another piece of uni. As I was ordering, a younger and more junior chef just got in and started serving me. Not sure if this is because of the change in chef but the second piece of uni is definitely not that good. This is a great place to be once to soak in the atmosphere. This must be what it feels like when you visited Tsukiji in the old days, eating at a tiny sushi shop right next to a dry goods store. But would I go back? Probably not.

No comments: